How to Prepare Your Child for Tooth Extraction
It is vital to take steps in preparing your child for a tooth removal. The dentist can be a scary place filled with loud noises and unfamiliar people and tools. That’s why it is important to prepare your child for tooth removal.
While tooth removal is never our first choice, when it becomes the best option for your child, we will make sure that they are comfortable with the procedure.
To learn how to ease your child’s anxiety before a tooth removal, continue reading.
Why is it Necessary to Remove Teeth?
In cases of permanent teeth, tooth removal is only performed on teeth that are severely damaged and in a condition that is beyond repair. It is more common for children to have a tooth removal procedure done on one of their baby teeth. Baby teeth are removed to help arrange the mouth for dental or orthodontic work. Although it doesn’t matter if the tooth is adult or baby, it will only be removed when absolutely essential.
During a tooth removal, we numb the area around the tooth, so the patient doesn’t experience any pain. Then, we loosen the tooth with an elevator. Once the tooth is loosened, the dentist extracts it with forceps. Thanks to the numbing, the process is pain-free, but there are also sedative options as well.
Tips to Prepare Your Child For a Tooth Removal
- Talk to your child about why the tooth removal must be done and how important it is.
- Make sure they understand that the process will be pain-free, and tell them how their dentist will ensure that they are comfortable.
- Listen to your child and how they feel about the tooth removal process. Let them fully express how they feel, and then comfort them with reasoning.
- Have the dentist explain how you can help your child’s mouth heal.
- Take your child with you when you gather supplies to help their mouth heal. That way, they can be involved and pick out foods they will like.
Children’s Dentist in Toronto, ON
Tooth removal can be a stressful time for you and your child, but it doesn’t have to be. By choosing our experienced dental team, we will make sure tooth removal is the right option for your child. Our friendly team of dentists will ensure that your child is comfortable and ready for the procedure.
Book your appointment today at our Downtown Toronto office!
You Might Also Like
Here are some additional blog posts to help you reach your oral healthcare goals.
If your smile isn’t quite up to par, or if you just want to give it a little boost, then veneers could be the solution
Regular dental care is as important for kids as it is for adults. In the same way, children need to see the doctor from an